Saturday, March 6, 2010

Robert Canright on Plano Math

I have often heard parents express shock at the deficiencies in Plano's mathematics curriculum for elementary school and middle school. People want to know my opinion of Connected Math.

Just this week I was looking at Connected Math material and feeling sorry for kids having to suffer through this program. The thought crossed my mind this week that Connected Math probably contributes to children dropping out of school. Connected Math is frustrating even for children who are good at math; it must be very discouraging for children who struggle with math.

For your convenience, here are links to articles I've written about math in Plano:
May 2, 2009 The Dumbing Down Disease
April 18, 2009 Dumbing Down and Connected Math
April 16, 2009 Plano's Secret: the Tutoring Industry
April 11, 2009 Elementary School Math Problems
May 6, 2008 Let's Improve Math at Plano ISD


Robert Canright

No comments: